Earth Day activities for the whole family will help you teach your kids to really value the beauty of the earth we live on. But what exactly is Earth Day, and why should you make it part of your family activities every April 22? Stick around and I’ll tell you!
Earth Day started in 1970 in the U.S. The intent was to raise the awareness of Americans on the environmental issues we face. Since 1990, Earth Day has been observed all over the world, not just in the United States. Earth Day is the perfect day to get outside and appreciate the beauties of nature! Who wouldn’t love that?
Earth Day activities for the whole family
When you think of Earth Day as a day to celebrate the earth and everything it holds for us, it’s pretty easy to come up with some great activity ideas the whole family can fully enjoy. But here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Plant a tree in your yard, but first go to your local nursery and let the kids help choose which tree you should plant. Take the opportunity to learn about trees that thrive in your area.
- Take a family walk through your neighborhood, but bring a trash bag so you can pick up any trash you find.
- Research hikes in your area that the whole family can do together.
- Make some bird houses with the kids, and hang them around the trees in your yard for the birds to enjoy. You’ll get to enjoy watching the birds all spring and summer long!
- Earth Day activities for the whole family are often held in cities around the U.S. Look in your area to see what’s going on, and plan to attend your favorite.
- Challenge the whole family to go without the car for Earth Day. If you consider it safe, this can include allowing the kids to walk or bike to school–you can even go along!
- Start an indoor or outdoor compost bin that the whole family can take care of. You’ll have the best garden ever!
- Weather-permitting, Earth Day is a great day to camp out with the kids. You can camp out in your own backyard if you don’t want to head to a campground.
Do you have any other ideas for Earth Day activities for the whole family to enjoy? Please share with us in the comments!